STEPS FOR DECLARING A SCHOOL OF ENGINEERING (SOE) MAJOR
Students must complete all steps to officially be a declared major.
A downloadable version of these steps is available.
In addition, please refer to the below links for:
1. Complete and submit your respective online MQV Form. If you're major is not listed it is because that department/major does not directly admit first year students.
2014-15 Major Qualification Verification (MQV) Forms
The deadline to declare a major in Winter 2015 has passed. Online MQV forms for Spring 2015 will be available here on at the beginning of Spring Quarter!
2. Three business days after submitting the online SOE MQV Form, please come to the SOE Undergraduate Advising office during express advising hours. At this point, you will be directed to sign up for a Major Declaration Workshop OR schedule a future advising session with a Staff Advisor.
3. Prepare the following forms and bring them with you to the Major Declaration Workshop:
□ SOE Major Qualification Verification Form (given to you by our office)
□ A completed PETITION FOR MAJOR/MINOR DECLARATION form
□ Unofficial Transcript from https://my.ucsc.edu/
□ A copy of your respective major curriculum chart
□ Academic Planning Form (refer to steps 3a-3e)
a) Cross off all courses completed on the curriculum chart to help you keep track of course progress. When putting together your plan, it’s recommended to try and schedule no more than two major classes per quarter.
b) Refer to the SOE course schedule to find out when SOE courses are being offered (and prerequisites) and add these to the front of the curriculum chart. Make sure you pay attention to prerequisites. To locate prerequisites click on the class and this will take you to a page that includes a course description and any prerequisites.
c) Refer to the Physical and Biological Sciences (aka PBSCI) Enrollment website for information about course scheduling, and prerequisites for all Physical and Biological Sciences courses. These include math, physics, biology, chemistry, etc.
d) Sample plans for your major can be found in the following locations:
e) You will be planning your schedule for the rest of your time at UCSC based on this year’s class schedule. You should check each year's class schedule as they become available to ensure your courses will still be offered as planned.
4. At the Major Declaration Workshop our advising staff will answer general questions, review your academic plan and sign your Petition for Major/Minor Declaration.
5. After the Major Declaration Workshop
a) Enter your proposed academic plan into "My Planner" in your MyUCSC portal. For assistance, please refer to our Course Planner Tutorial. If you do not enter your plan in your Planner in MyUCSC then you will need to go through the declaration process AGAIN the following quarter.
b) Our staff will verify that your plan was entered. If it was, your Petition for Major/Minor Declaration will then be entered and your major should be reflected in your MyUCSC portal within 3-5 business days.
For further information or if you have questions about the new MQV Forms, please contact the School of Engineering Undergraduate Advising Office (225 Baskin Engineering) during Express Advising hours Monday-Friday 1:30-4:00pm, or call (831) 459-5840 or email email@example.com.