Declare Your Major
STEPS FOR DECLARING A SCHOOL OF ENGINEERING (SOE) MAJOR
Students must complete all steps to officially be a declared major.
A downloadable version of these steps is available.
In addition, please refer to the below links for:
- Information about declaring an SOE minor.
- Information about credit sharing in double majors and major/minors.
Please Note: The Campus Declaration of Major deadline for Spring quarter is Friday, April 24th. However, this is the deadline to have the Declaration process completed. Because this process requires verification of major qualification requirements and attendance at a workshop, you must start this process at the beginning of the quarter. The final day to submit a major qualification verification (MQV) form was Monday, April 13th at 4:00pm. If you submitted an MQV form prior to the deadline, the deadline to PICK UP your MQV form is Monday, April 20th, 2015 at 4:00pm in Baskin Engineering 225
If you have missed the April 13th deadline to submit an MQV form, or are still in the process of completing the qualification requirements for your major: You will not be able to declare your major this quarter.However, it is not our intent to keep students from being able to enroll for their next quarter's worth of classes and we can work with you to help prevent this from happening.
If you received an email message telling you that a hold will be placed on your enrollment if you do not declare your major this quarter, you should contact your college advising office ASAP to let them know that you will not be able to declare your major this quarter due to not yet meeting major qualification requirements or missing a workshop deadline. They will let you know what they require from you to avoid having a hold placed on your enrollment or to have your hold lifted. It is very likely that they will ask you to put together a plan outlining when you can complete the major requirements and have it signed by one of our staff advisors.
If this is the case, our staff advisors will be signing and reviewing academic plans for all students in this situation during our plan review workshops that are scheduled to be held in May in the weeks before enrollment for Fall classes begins.
More information about these workshops, including the schedule and sign-up link, can be found on our website here:
1. Complete and submit your respective online MQV Form.
2014-15 Major Qualification Verification (MQV) Forms
The deadline to declare a major in Spring 2015 has passed. Online MQV forms for Fall 2015 will be available here on at the beginning of Fall Quarter!
2. Three business days after submitting the online SOE MQV Form, please come to the SOE Undergraduate Advising office during express advising hours. At this point, you will be directed to sign up for a Major Declaration Workshop OR schedule a future advising session with a Staff Advisor.
3. Prepare the following forms and bring them with you to the Major Declaration Workshop:
□ SOE Major Qualification Verification Form (given to you by our office)
□ A completed PETITION FOR MAJOR/MINOR DECLARATION form
□ Unofficial Transcript from https://my.ucsc.edu/
□ A copy of your respective major curriculum chart
□ Academic Planning Form (refer to steps 3a-3e)
a) Cross off all courses completed on the curriculum chart to help you keep track of course progress. When putting together your plan, it’s recommended to try and schedule no more than two major classes per quarter.
b) Refer to the SOE course schedule to find out when SOE courses are being offered (and prerequisites) and add these to the front of the curriculum chart. Make sure you pay attention to prerequisites. To locate prerequisites click on the class and this will take you to a page that includes a course description and any prerequisites.
c) Refer to the Physical and Biological Sciences (aka PBSCI) Enrollment website for information about course scheduling, and prerequisites for all Physical and Biological Sciences courses. These include math, physics, biology, chemistry, etc.
d) Sample plans for your major can be found in the following locations:
- General Catalog. Click on Programs and Courses, then at top of Programs and Courses, click on Links to Programs by Department. Please keep in mind that these are templates. You may need to modify these plans to your circumstances. If you are following another catalog year other than 2014-15, please refer to that year’s catalog as sample plans may be different based on that year’s requirements.
- Sample Computer Engineering plans can be found on the CE Advisor’s Desk.
- Sample Computer Science plans can be found below.
- Other major plans will be added as they become available.
e) You will be planning your schedule for the rest of your time at UCSC based on this year’s class schedule. You should check each year's class schedule as they become available to ensure your courses will still be offered as planned.
4. At the Major Declaration Workshop our advising staff will answer general questions, review your academic plan and sign your Petition for Major/Minor Declaration.
5. After the Major Declaration Workshop
a) Enter your proposed academic plan into "My Planner" in your MyUCSC portal. For assistance, please refer to our Course Planner Tutorial. If you do not enter your plan in your Planner in MyUCSC then you will need to go through the declaration process AGAIN the following quarter.
b) Our staff will verify that your plan was entered. If it was, your Petition for Major/Minor Declaration will then be entered and your major should be reflected in your MyUCSC portal within 3-5 business days.
For further information or if you have questions about the new MQV Forms, please contact the School of Engineering Undergraduate Advising Office (225 Baskin Engineering) during Express Advising hours Monday-Friday 1:30-4:00pm, or call (831) 459-5840 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.